No, not like the dating rules - theses are specific race rules set out by USAT!
While you don't need to devote too much time to commiting these to memory, it is a good idea to read over them and store them in the back of your brain.
- No bandits (no racing without an official race entry)
- No leaving trash or gear on the course
- No outside help (except from race or medical officials)
- No glass anywhere on the course
- No nudity (even in transition area)
- No unsportsmanlike conduct or foul language on course
- No headphones on course at any time
The penalties vary for each infraction, or the number of infractions, including time penalties, disqualification (DQ) or ejection from the race.
- Any swim stroke is permitted
- If you need to rest you may hold onto a kayak but it can not move you forward in any way.
- No gloves, snorkels, fins or flotation devices
- In most races if you do not complete the swim within the time limit you will not be permitted to continue.
Bike Rules (there are lots!)
- Only helmets approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) may be used in USAT sanctioned events. Helmets must be worn at all times while on your bike. This means before, during, and after the event. - Helmet straps must be buckled at all times when on a bicycle.
- Drafting--keep at least three bike lengths of clear space between you and the cyclist in front. If you move into the zone, you must pass within 15 seconds.
- Cyclists must keep to the right hand side of the lane of travel unless passing.
- Once passed cyclists must move out of the draft zone immediately
- Cyclists shall not cross a solid yellow center line for ANY reason.
- Cyclists must obey all applicable traffic laws at all times.
- Handlebars must be plugged.
- Cyclists must mount and dismount at the specified areas.
Run rules (less of these!)
- Wear your race number on your front at all times on the run course.
- Stay to the right.